Gut and intestinal problems trouble millions across the globe. However, what most people are unaware of is that the solution to these problems is closer than they think. We are talking about the healthy and yummy Yogurt! That’s right! Yogurt is a dairy product made by fermenting milk with culture that provides protein and calcium, the two important nutrients to enhance healthy gut bacteria. Yogurt is available in various different types and flavors and they are high in protein, calcium, vitamins, and live culture, or probiotics, which help in enhancing the gut microbiota. These microbiota, also known as healthy gut bacteria are extremely important in keeping the intestines healthy and properly functioning. Yogurt is known to have multiple health benefits from the protection of bones and teeth to preventing digestive problems. Besides, it is an easy way to deal with daily life health issues since it is also available in low fat and non-dairy options, in case anyone is worried about weight gain or is lactose intolerant. Yogurt contains less lactose than milk because the lactose is used up in the fermentation process that is used to make it. The following are some of the amazing health benefits offered by yogurt, and why you must definitely include it in your daily diet.
- The nutrition level may vary in different types of yogurts; however, they are all high in proteins and provide the body with essential minerals like calcium and vitamins.
- Yogurt also provides phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium which are important minerals in the human body and help in several biological processes such as metabolism, regulating blood pressure, and maintaining bone health.
- Some yogurts are processed to have Vitamin D, which is difficult to gain from natural food supplements, and promotes bone health as well as the immunity system. It is also known to help with the symptoms of depression.
- Greek yogurt is especially high in proteins. Proteins are important for the body to support metabolism by increasing the energy expenditure. Protein is also important for appetite regulation and Greek yogurt has been shown to influence appetite control and delay the feelings of hunger more than regular yogurt.
- This unique ability of yogurt promotes healthy weight balance despite teasing your sweet tooth!
- Some non-pasteurised yogurts contain live bacteria or probiotics that promote healthy digestion and support the intestinal functioning. Some types of probiotics found in yogurt, such as Bifidobacteria and Lactobacillus, are known to lessen the prolonged, uncomfortable symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome, which is a very common problem amongst the American population.
- Probiotics may also help with several other gastrointestinal problems such as constipation, diarrhea, and bloating.
- The trace minerals in yogurt such as magnesium, silicon, and zinc are known to boost immunity and fight the common cold and flu.
- The probiotics in yogurt have anti-inflammatory properties and immunity enhancing properties that prevents internal gut inflammation and viral infections.
- All the healthy minerals and vitamins in yogurt help in dealing with the degenerative condition of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis. In fact, a study suggests that yogurt, when consumed on a daily basis, may help preserve bone mass and strength.
- Various studies suggest that regardless of its fat content, yogurt appears to benefit heart health by increasing HDL cholesterol and reducing blood pressure.
Yogurt has been consumed by humans for hundreds of years for its tasty yet nutritious nature. Regular consumption of yogurt is associated with a wide variety of health benefits. Besides, it is a tasty way to health, so why not try it? It comes in different types and flavors and caters to all kinds of tastes!