Mucuna Pruriens, also known as Cowhage, and velvet bean in regular language, is of great importance in Ayurveda. Commonly used for making ‘prank itching powder’, Mucuna Pruriens is actually a rare medicinal herb used to treat serious conditions such as Parkinson’s and sexual diseases. It is an excellent source of a very powerful neurotransmitter precursor called L-Dopa. The itchy pods are nature’s way of preventing the rare and medicinal seeds without being exploited. The amount of L-dopa found in 1 gram of plant extracts is 40 mg which is high content and is naturally obtained very rarely. Traditionally, experiments exhibit that L-dopa helps in the reduction of cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Due to that fact, it is widely used in Ayurveda as a carminative, hypertensive and hypoglycemic agent. The other active ingredients of Mucuna Pruriens include bioactive alkaloids, mucunine, mucunadine, mucuadinine, pruriendine and nicotine. Along with them, B-sitosterol, glutathione, lecithin, oils, venolic and gallic acids are some other rare constituents found in the plant.
ACTIVE INGREDIENT – L-DOPA
L-Dopa or Levodopa is a part of natural human biology. This amino acid gets converted into dopamine. Dopamine is a chemical released by neurons in the brain to send signals to other nerves. Any chemical performing such an action is known as a neurotransmitter. The human brain has several dopamine pathways that play a major role in the natural functioning of the human body. The deficiency of dopamine results in various body dysfunctions such as muscle cramps, spasms, or tremors. In major neurological disorders such as Parkinson’s, the brain cells begin to die. These brain cells are responsible for the production of dopamine. Due to the death of the dopamine creating cells, the body experiences dopamine deficiency, and thus, the Parkinson’s symptoms of tremors and muscle spasms emerge. L-dopa is also known to support natural growth hormones and is essential for natural growth of the human body and brain.
The increased dopamine levels optimize the production of other hormones, including testosterone. This leads to an increased sex drive and improved sexual performance in both men and women. Dopamine is also beneficial in stimulating muscle growth as well as burning fat from fat cells. However, high levels of dopamine can result into psychotic symptoms and are usually observed in several cases of ADHD.
BENEFITS OF MUCUNA PRURIENS
Mucuna pruriens is in various health and vitality supplements and works wonders. NuvoMed proudly advertises the fact that Mucuna Pruriens is one of the key ingredients in their Vitality Tablets. Mucuna Pruriens offers multiple health benefits for the mind and body.
- The seeds, roots and legumes of the plant are rich in nutrients and the powder is used in various herbal supplements.
- The chemical composition of Mucuna Pruriens is known to reduce fat and decrease cellulite.
- It also increases bone density, maintains joint health, and shows reversing effects on the symptoms of osteoporosis.
- It reduces stress, elevates mood and marginally increases strength and energy levels in the body.
- It aids weight loss and helps in gaining lean muscle mass.
- It shows some anti-aging effects such as decreased wrinkles and improved skin quality.
- It enhances immunity and protects the human body from external pathogen attacks.
- It enhances libido and boosts sexual performance in both men and women.
- It is used to treat sexual diseases in Ayurveda. Consumption of Mucuna Pruriens is known to have a positive effect on human reproductive system.
- It increases the sperm count in men and enhances testosterone levels.
- It helps in reducing cholesterol and prevents high cholesterol related symptoms.
- It promotes regeneration of cells in large internal organs such as heart, lungs, liver, and kidney.
- It provides relief from the terrible symptoms caused by Parkinson’s disorder.
- It is used to treat several other neurological conditions, including symptoms of dopamine deficiency.
- It is a strong, natural aphrodisiac.
Mucuna Pruriens is a rare and truly magical herb with multiple uses in mind and body wellness. People suffering from certain conditions such as melanoma, diabetes, liver disease, and cardiovascular disorders should refrain from ingesting the herb. When consumed in proper doses under expert advice, it can provide health benefits so vast that Western medicine would not be able to cope with it.