Nuts are nature’s way of showing that good things come in small packages. These bite-sized nutritional powerhouses are packed with various amazing nutrients such as heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals. Only an ounce of nuts can provide many amazing benefits when consumed right. A handful of nuts not just provide a nutrient-rich diet, they also hold the capacity to ruin one’s appetite almost entirely. That is why they make a healthy snack for everyone, including weight conscious individuals. Their mixture of omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, fibers, vitamins and minerals make them the best snack ever! Following are the examples of these nutrient-dense snack bites. Reading about the health benefits they offer will make you go nuts for sure!
- Walnuts are widely known as brain enhancing power-packs. They contain nearly 11% magnesium and are an excellent source of Vitamin E.
- It contains enough calories to keep hunger at bay, and thus, makes an excellent snack for those untimely hunger pangs.
- The monounsaturated fats and alpha linoleic acid (ALA) in the walnut are the heart-healthy components that help in keeping cardiovascular ailments at bay.
- Omega-3 fatty acid and ALA are known to help heart arrhythmias.
- A Spanish study suggests that walnuts may be as effective as olive oil in reducing inflammation and oxidation in the arteries.
- Walnut helps in improving memory function and improves cognitive function.
- Brazil nuts are a rare nut that are packed with selenium.
- Selenium is a mineral that may have anti-carcinogenic properties. It may protect the body against prostate cancer and several other diseases.
- They also contain 8% vitamin E and 26% of magnesium as per RDA. These vitamins and minerals are important for the heart’s health and brain development.
- Consumption of moderate amounts of brazil nuts may keep various ailments away and can provide the body with the required nutrients.
- Pecans are rich in beta-sitosterol which is a beneficial plant steroid and is known to have a positive impact on men’s health.
- It is also rich in Vitamin E (2% of the RDA) and magnesium (8% of the RDA) which are important nutrients for the heart and brain health.
- The plant steroid in Pecans may help relieve the symptoms of enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hyperplasia – BPH) in men.
- Almonds are one of those rare nuts that are high in calcium as compared to other nuts.
- It also contains high levels of Vitamin E (37% of the RDA) which helps in giving glowing skin as well as a healthy heart.
- They consist of magnesium (19% of RDA), making them one of the most nutrient-dense nuts in the family.
- The antioxidants in almonds help fight inflammation and boost immunity.
- Regular consumption of almonds may help in the prevention of lung cancer and age-related cognitive decline.
- Cashews contain a number of important nutrients that help in maintaining overall health and wellness.
- These nutrients may help in improving blood lipid levels and in reducing blood pressure.
- Just like other healthy nuts, Cashews also contain Vitamin E (1% of the RDA) and magnesium (20% of the RDA).
- A study suggests that consumption of cashew nuts increases the antioxidant potential of the diet consumed.
- Pistachios help in reducing oxidative stress in the body, thus effectively enhancing one’s immunity.
- They also seem to have many beneficial health benefits, including a lowered risk of heart diseases.
- When consumed in high quantities, it provides many amazing health benefits and provides the body with nutrients like Vitamin E (3% of the RDA) and magnesium (8% of the RDA).
- Hazelnuts are good for improving the heart’s health.
- Consuming hazelnut on a regular basis is known to be linked with the reduction of total cholesterol and triglycerides.
- It is also known to have anti-inflammatory properties and may improve blood vessel function.
- It also has high levels of magnesium (20% of the RDA) and Vitamin E (37% of the RDA), just like all other healthy nuts in the list.
The competition, i.e. “which is the healthiest nut”, can never come to a conclusion. They all have amazing benefits to offer. Why pick just one when you can have them all? Mixed nuts make an ideal snack and come in variety packs of sweet and salted. For others, there are always natural dietary supplements with the potent extracts to provide all the amazing benefits it has to offer. These tiny parcels of nutrients and antioxidants are not to be missed out on.